Thursday, May 21, 2009

18 Months Old

Today Zachary is 18 months old. Yesterday we took him in for his 18 month check up and since he is on a delayed schedule for his vaccines he got 4 shots! He cried at shot #2 and stopped at #4. What a guy! He weighs (with clothes on) about 20lbs and 6ozs. He was 31 and 3/4" long and doing well. He showed off for Dr. Kate and tried so hard to give her kisses. He goes back in 6 weeks for 4 more shots. She was very impressed with the number of words he is saying and that he could sign "more". He just started that a few weeks ago.

Today we saw Dr. Rob (aka Oncologist) and his staff was thrilled to see how big Z was and how well he was doing. We talked a bit about Noonan Syndrome and how it can cause the JMML-like symptoms. Dr. Rob agreed that is what it was with Z but didn't want to dismiss anything. He told me that even the percentage is very low, in some cases the JMML will "reappear" before the age of 5. He called me around 3pm to tell me that Z's CBC was great! All normal! Since this CBC was normal he felt that Z just needs to have his liver and spleen checked every 4-6 months. The pediatrician can do it. We basically can cut Dr. Rob out of Z's team of doctors. This made me sad. I know that we got very lucky when Dr. Rob and Dr. Bob were assigned to Zachary. If it weren't for him, I am not sure where we'd be. Thank God we were led to them.

On his 18 month birthday we got this amazingly wonderful news. It seems life can't really get any better. Dr. Rob and I both feel that the worst is behind Zachary and after his surgery next week, I think things are going to be incredible. It's like the past 2 years have had more downs than ups and while it has been getting better I just kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. I've been living under a JMML cloud waiting for one of the tests to come back with bad news. But Zachary has been spared. My precious little boy has taught me so much. His strength has amazed me and finally after all this time he is getting the good news he deserves. He has been through so much in his little life and I hope that now I can all breathe a little easier and stop looking over my shoulder for bad news.

Thank you to everyone for the prayers and support. We all thank you!

2 comments:

TheSweetOne said...

This is great news. I know how you feel about Dr. Rob no longer on the list. We've just finished with regular PT and know that we'll miss our times with Amy.

Very exciting to know a tangible end is in site in only a few short months.

Thinking of you often!

~Robyn and Lauren

1Supergirl said...

Darin and I are so happy about this news!