Thursday, April 15, 2010

More testing (again?)

I keep telling myself that each year will get better...by better I mean less appointments. Obviously things improved in 2009 and now again they have improved for 2010. We the departure of Dr. Kate I really felt lost. I felt abandoned, even though I know she is a person and has to do what is good for her and her family, it still felt like a loss...loss of a good friend. She got me and never made me feel like that mom. I feel like I have to start over. It sucks and stresses me out.

Anyway, we met with Dr. S today...she was Z's geneticist and is now in behavioral/developmental pediatrics. She is truly amazing. I adore her. It was funny because she arrived a bit late and saw Z through the window. She came in and hugged me and said how good he looked and how he grew and how happy she was to see us. Wow. I wanted to cry. I was shocked by the hug but it felt good. I knew then we made the best move for Z by coming to see her. Her office is really a center at Cardinal Glennon. They have lots of therapists and all were very friendly...even during Z's "you interrupted my nap people!" meltdown. These appointments are so stressful because he is so unpredictable and stupid me left the M&Ms in the car that morning so they were nice and melted. Duh! But we survived and got lots of good info.

She feels that Z needs weekly speech therapy and he will also be assessed by their SLP so that we can report that to Early Intervention and the Special School District. She doesn't want him lost in the system. She feels he has problems expressing himself through speech but understands a lot. She also wants him to do a sleep study and attend a behavior strategy therapy session. And she pointed out he has an umbilical hernia that we need to watch...it is rather small and doesn't seem to be a problem.

I am hoping we can do the sleep study at St. John's. The lung doc that saw him in the hospital was incredible and left Jason and I both feeling good about him. Well he is part of the sleep clinic there so I am hoping he can get him in right away but I am not sure what the procedure is for that. I did a bit of research and managed to find Dr. Rob's wife...that sounds funny huh? Well she is a pediatrician and she came in to see Z in the hospital and she checked his stats too. She too was incredible and I remember thinking how nice she was. I have a call into her office hoping she can take on the boys.

So we had a good appointment, learned more and will soon learn even more. The sleep study will also test Z for restless leg syndrome. I am hoping we get answers soon because sleep is needed in this house!

And today he bit a classmate and hit his teacher...he is sweet, really he is!

No comments: