Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Fevers, runny noses and colds. Oh My!

The last three days have been filled w/snot, coughs, colds and fevers. Jonathan has a cold/cough but he is a tough kiddo and seems to be well. He also has chigger bites from our weekend in the country. Poor kid!

As for Zachary, he has had a fever since Monday. It was low grade...99-100 and then Tuesday night it spiked to 103.6! He looked awful. I freaked big time. I called the oncologist and he said to give him tylenol every 4 hrs and bring him in to him or the pedi for a CBC. The pedi could get us in at 9am and I figured she'd be less busy. Well she sent us to the lab at the hospital and they had to poke my sweet peat in each arm and two finger pricks to get his blood! UGH!!!

Anyway, ears and lungs and throat were clear. Z is weighing 14lbs and 6 oz...25th percentile! Go big guy! Physically he looked fine and had no fever at all. She said it may be a UTI but they are rare in infant boys but as we all know, Z is a rare little boy! :-) So we put a collection bag on his little, um pee pee and I figured by the time they got his blood it would be full. But I think all the squirming knocked it off and I didn't realize it until we got home. No sample and I was so exhausted I didn't call the doc. I know, bad mommy but if you would have seen the day I had!

I think I will call the ped for the CBC results and ask her for another bag and sit in her office praying the bag works so he doesn't need a catheter. Then if it is a UTI maybe we can get an RX and be on our merry way. A girl can hope right?

As for his fever, if I miss a dose of tylenol then within 6 hrs it spikes up to 101. He likes to sleep on me so it has been a very exhausting day.

Tomorrow you may see 2 posts from me...my dear friend Sherry is having a baby and asked me to update here for all her friends in blogland and then I will be sure to post an update on Z.

Sherry, Mike and Little Gummy...I am thinking of you and can't wait for that phone call in the morning to announce Gummy's safe arrival! Many prayers and lots of love to all of you!!! ((HUGS))

No comments: