Sunday, September 7, 2008

Our Last Supper

No, not the one from the bible, the one with my Mom.

Last year on this date I was enjoying the last supper with my mom. It was me and Jason, my sister, brother in law and niece and my mom and dad. Mom was so tired. I had to help her take her insulin because she couldn't see. She looked thinner and was even nodding off at the table. She had no appetite and barely ate. I remember she ordered a pricey shrimp meal.

We sat in the restaurant, talking and laughing like everything was fine and well, it was. Could we have done something different? Maybe but it wouldn't have made a difference. While I miss Mom so much that it hurts, I know she was tired and ready to home and be with her loved ones that went on before her. She had a long journey and needed to rest. I know she is up there with her parents and her sister and so many others. They are catching up and enjoying the peace up in Heaven.

Today we had the Keeven family reunion and this was a day that mom looked forward to. She enjoyed it so much. Last year we all went and moms death was so fresh and it was so hard to be there, yet so comforting. Mom had always planned it all for us and took care of us. Well we forgot table cloths last year. This year I made sure I brought one. Mom would have had 2 or 3 vinyl ones, I only had 1 disposable one. She made sure we all had plates, utensils and napkins. It seemed to always either rain or be very hot for our reunion. This year it rained that morning and then was a gorgeous day that we all enjoyed. I think Mom made sure it was a nice day.

It was one year ago today that I last saw my mom alive. I hugged and kissed her goodbye and told her I loved her. I guess that isn't a bad way to end things. I wonder if I had known it would be the last time I'd see her if I would have said anything else?

Thank you. I would have said "thank you Mom for being the wonderful Mom that you were.".