Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A little bit of news...

I had an appointment for Z to see Dr. Kate today. Of course the awful snow storm didn't help but we managed to get there after a long 45 minute commute when we are what, 5 miles from the office? Nice!

Anyway, I told Dr. Kate that he has been congested with a snotty nose since LAST Saturday and I was pretty much at my witts end and wanted answers not another RX. She listened to Z and said yes that he sounded gunky but she didn't suspect allergies as he was a bit too young for those. She suspects that his bronchial airways are irritated and she agreed that a 5th RX in just about 5 months was not the route we should take. So she prescribed him an inhaler. He gets 2 puffs every 6 hours and I am to call Monday and report how he is doing. She thinks that because he had the pnuemonia and then bronchitis and the croup that he may just be super sensitive and irritated. Works for me! So he has had 2 treatments tonight and is sleeping w/the vaporizer going strong. After the 45 min ride home I opted to stay home and take a personal day. I was exhausted. Plus Jonathan so badly wanted us to go sledding. And we did!

While there she told me that Dr. P (Geneticist) sent her a very nice and informative letter about our consultation with her. I told her I was annoyed w/no results from the neurosurgeon and she said, "Oh I have the results!". Basically he said that Z's fontanel (soft spot) was large for his age but otherwise his little noggin and brain looked fine! So where do I go from here? Well I figured that if I see no improvement then I will call again (and again) until I get answers. Let's just hope it closes up within the next few months or by 2 years old! She also agreed the problems Z had last year and his JMML "scare" was the JMML like symptoms that NS kids can have in the first year of life. She said even though that time sucked, it was good because it helped us be more proactive with him. Good point!!!

She then told me she also got results of his spine xray and lung xray and both were good! Double Yay! I forgot to ask about his CBC. We talked about his growth on the NS chart and he was in the 50th and 75th percentiles so he is doing well. He was at 20lbs so that was incredible!

We touched on Physical Therapy and she said she will refer us at anytime. However, she is not concerned and the last PT he saw wasn't concerned either. He is doing so good at pulling up. I'm sure he is the only 14 month old who's crib has not been lowered! LOL

I felt good after this appointment. I mentioned that Dr. P suggested we (Jason, JD and I) at least get an echocardiogram if we were not doing gene testing on us to rule out any heart issues. She agreed with this. We are to meet with the geneticist in about a month, after we get the gene test results back.

Progress is being made, just not at the rate I want it to be but still, things are going and that is good.

No comments: