Thursday, January 22, 2009

Waiting - Take 2

It seems that everyday I fight for getting my son the care he needs. It may be as simple as an evaluation of some sort but everyday it is phone calls, paperwork and research. I know things could be a lot worse for him but I don't want to wait and see what happens with him and see if he does "catch on". I am trying to be proactive in his health care and on days like today, I feel like I'm getting beat down.

The geneticist referred Z to Missouri's Early Intervention program (First Steps) after a 10 min conversation they decided that Z did not qualify. The wonderful state of Missouri does not recognize NS as a condition that requires this service. This service would provide us with in home physical therapy and occupational therapy. He would get assessments and it would follow him to the school district. I am just disappointed that because my son is only 4 months delayed and not 6, then the state doesn't seem to care about him. Again, I'd like to thank former Governor Matt Blunt for all the wonderful work he did while in office...notice the sarcasm?

My next step for PT is to call the insurance company and see what is covered and then return back to the place he went before. It will all work out!

I was told about a school that has therapists there on staff, Good Shepard School but at this time I can't afford daycare for Z there and then preschool and childcare for Jonathan. However, maybe when Jonathan is in school and Z is about 3 (the rates decrease a LOT at 24 months of age) then we can send him there. I know there are less expensive resources out there for us and I will find them. I refuse to let my son slip through any cracks or not be the best he can be because of a few dollar signs.

Tuesday we had his gene test done and he did SO well and he didn't even cry! I called the neurosurgeon Wednesday to find out his results...no return call yet so I guess I have to call again tomorrow. We have his hearing test scheduled for March and the nurse is scheduling his other tests and will call me back with those appointments.

On a happier note, we noticed Z kneeling again at his sing along stage toy. He was so proud of himself. He has also become a little Hoover and eats everything he sees! He is always hungry! I don't mind...well I do when it is at 3am and he wants to eat real food. Ugh!

No comments: