Friday, March 20, 2009

Appt. 3 and 4

Today we had Zachary's Audiology appt. He has had a cough/cold for about a week. I had caused it on the 2 molars he was getting in. We arrive at the hospital and they do this test on him to see if he has fluid in his ears...DING DING DING! We have fluid in both ears! They continue with the test but warn me if he fails part of it, it could be from the fluid. He does good on the loud noises but is very easily distracted by the nice lady playing with him. Plus he realizes when he hears a sound and looks to the right, Winne the Pooh dances (he is in a box in the corner) so he begins to play peek a boo with Pooh!

They put a headset on him that attaches to the outside his ear where the nerves are. This will bypass the fluid. He has a bit more response doing it this way. The Audiologist suggest we take him to the Pediatrician and get some meds and then come back in a month. Sorry but I quickly think, more money and more time off work! I know that sounds selfish and I would do anything for my sons but when does it stop!

So off to the pediatrician. He hears his cough and immediately checks his lungs...sounds good. Z loves this guy and lets him do all kinds of stuff to him. Such a good boy. Then he looks in the ears and says that there is fluid but they were not truly infected but because of his cough he puts him on some amoxicillian to prevent the fluid from turning into an infection. This made me happy because I really feel like someting is wrong w/Z since he has this cough again so the meds will help ease my mind a bit.

Have to go get him from his nap...he is being rather fussy and I think he wants to cuddle.

Next week we have the echo, ekg and abdominal US. Another day off work, 4 hour doc appt. and I guess a few hundred dollars. This kid better pick a good nursing home for me when I'm old!

No comments: