Saturday, March 28, 2009

Echo's and Ultrasounds

Today we had the final (*knocking on wood*) assessment appointments for Zachary. We went down to the hospital at 8am to register. First we had his echo and Zachary did incredibly well and sat calmly on my lap the entire time. The tech was highly impressed. She commented that she did not see anything lift threatening or too abnormal. I am assuming his murmur is still there but will need to call on Monday for the results.

We then did the EKG and again, he sat very still watching the wires hang from him. This tech said nothing but as I've said before I am not too worried about his heart since he has had a few echo's before. If something was wrong, I would be completely surprised.

Then we sat and waited for the ultrasound. This tech didn't impress me too much and grumbled a bit about "how fun this would be". Gee, you think it is fun for any of us? Sure you may run tests on screaming kids but you are not sent him waiting and facing the unknown and possibly some horrible diagnosis. I guess everyone can't be happy but whatever to her. I must admit I was very happy when a radiologist stepped into the room and said he wanted to stay for the ultrasound. He helped me hold Z and entertain him as Jason was trying to entertain Jonathan.

Zachary did pretty well for the most part but towards the end he got a bit restless. I don't blame him 2 hours of being looked at and scanned can wear on you especially when it's nap time! The abdomnal US consists of measuring his spleen, liver, bladder and I believe kidneys. If you recall, last year when Z was extremely ill his spleen and liver were enlarged and this is a part of JMML. In November Dr. Rob felt the swelling was gone but in Jan. the geneticist didn't like his little "poofy" belly.

I heard the radiologist and the tech making comments to each other but couldn't catch the exact words as Jonathan had noisy toys and Z was crying. Obviously, I am a bit concerned about this ultrasound. I can't explain it except to say it is just a gut feeling I have. Hopefully I am wrong.

My plan is to call on Monday or Tuesday to see if they have the results. Then we will go from there.

Time to go, Zachary is done with his lunch.

No comments: