Monday, April 13, 2009

I suppose that's good news!

Today we had our interview with MO First Steps. I learned something that I wasn't aware of...it isn't a free program. No that is not a big deal but what got me was she told me it use to be free. Gee, I wonder why it no longer is? Hmmm, I am sure it is due to the former Governor. Whatever!

Anyway, this interview was to determine if Zachary qualifies for an evaluation. After an hour of questions she basically told me she doubted he would qualify without Medical intervention. She said she was very impressed with Z's verbal skills, understanding of what I say and his fine motor skills. She said she understands my concerns due to his previous issues but from what she could tell, he was rather advanced. Now you know at this point I was ready to crawl under the table...I made a big stink for nothing!!! But she did say that what they can do is get medical information from his doctor's and then maybe he can be evaluated for just physical therapy. But we'd still have to pay a monthly fee. Now that is fine because if he isn't walking by 18 months then I will be taking him to PT per his pediatrician but the nice thing about first steps is they would come to my home and yes, the fee would be cheaper. Oh well, we'll get little man whatever he needs.

The more we talked the more I realized the stuff he can do and how in tune he is w/his surrondings and how he does interact with us so well. I truly think that he is just not walking b/c he isn't confident enough and truly not interested. The one time I make a big fuss (ok well not the only time) it wasn't necessary. Doh!

Tomorrow we go to the ENT and discuss his ears. I am prepared to hear that he needs tubes but I am more curious to see if he still has fluid in them now as he was running a fever yesterday. I just want him to have a break from being sick b/c you know, when he is sick he whines all.the.time!

We also have Jonathan's parent teacher conference on Wednesday and she said she was very eager to meet with us b/c she thinks Jonathan is such a great kid. He's a charmer!!!

I'll try to update before we leave for FL! Yay!

1 comment:

TheSweetOne said...

Sorry the EI stuff isn't working out quite as you'd hoped but hooray for seeing all kinds of great things in him!

Has Z been to the chiropractor yet? One client of the gal we see swear it saved her son from having tubes put in for recurrent ear infections...

Have a great "uneventful" [read: no emergencies or truly horrible moments] trip!

~Robyn