Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lots of answers

Today was a whirlwind...completely exhausting. Sunday Z had a fever between 101-102 all day. He has been super whiney and still snotty and congested...I've accepted the snot and congestion as who Z is. The whiney part, God help us all if that is who he is. :-) We managed to have a low key Easter. The Bunny hid eggs but no one was inclined to look for them. The boys got lots of beach stuff from Grandma and Grandpa (thank you!) and the Bunny got them beach towels, sunscreen and some new toys to take on the plane with them. In reality it is more crap we have to pack. I think we will have 3 suitcases and 2 carry ons. Whew, I can already see Jason getting grumpy as we lug all that stuff into the airport with 2 kids in tow. Fun times! I'll be stressed and Jason will be grumpy but in the end, it will all be fine and dandy.

This morning I got the kids ready and was in the bathroom and knocked over several of Jason's razors. I swore I picked them all up. 10 minutes later Z is outside the bathroom door and I realize I hear him sucking on something. He has a razor! I gently ask for it and he gladly hands it over. I scoop him up and see no damage but did find a wee bit of blood in his mouth...nothing major. So we take JD to school, head to the ENT arriving 15 min early as they asked us too. I'm glad they told us 15 minutes early because my time is so less valuable than theirs and I was forced to sit in the waiting room from 915 until 1045. Nice! Z was antsy but all in all happily charming everyone he came in contact with. He loves getting people's attention. Once we met w/the doc we gave him the LONG history of Z and focused on the last 6 months and how sick he has been with coughs/colds and crap. He looked in his ears (Z politely turned his head when he saw the little instrument), checked his nose and then this throat (Z again obliged when he saw the stick and opened his mouth) and said he has fluid, large tonsils touching and swollen lymph nodes (not much new there). I was shocked by the tonsils. He said due to his history and age, he would rather the go to Cardinal Glennon as the hospitals he goes to do not have a pediatric unit. He said he thinks Z has sleep apnea...what?! I told him how he doesn't sleep for more than a good 3 hour period, he snores so freaking loud and is so restless. He said it could be the fluid but he really suspects it is sleep apnea. I told him how he would stop breathing for a second or 2 at night and cry and move around. On May 11 we will go to Glennon to meet the pediatric ENT there. We will look into a sleep study and possible removal of adenoids, tonsils and then tubes put in. If they don't feel he needs adenoids and tonsils out (due to his age) then he can do the tubes b/c he does for sure need them.

I asked about our flight and if he should go and he said "In a perfect world we wouldn't suggest him flying but this world isn't perfect so go and have fun!". I like this man!

Because I was so frazzled I didn't think to ask for an RX so I called Dr. Kate. The receptionist said, "Oh we were just talking about you and said it had been about 2 weeks since you were here. we were hoping Zachary was doing good...sorry we jinxed you!". They got us right in and Dr. Kate agreed his throat was very red and since we were traveling she wanted to give him an RX (God bless that woman). She is also working on his First Steps paper work and asked if I would be willing to get him OT even if he is not approved. Of course I agreed.

Tomorrow: Jonathan's Parent/Teacher Conference

Oh and b/c this appt took so long I was late picking up Jonathan...last kid at school! And he teacher asked me if the baby was ok b/c Jonathan told her he got hurt this morning and was bleeding! The little turkey ratted me out!

Sorry for yet again, another LONG update. As one of my friends said, "at least you are really getting answers!" and yes we are!!! So as exhausting as this is, I need to focus on that...and our trip!!!

No comments: