Thursday, August 20, 2009

August Physical Therapy

Today we had PT. Kelly and Amanda (a student) watched Zachary play and interacted with him. Kelly was pleased with the progress Zachary has made. She pointed out some things that he is doing that I didn't realize were "progress". It's nice to hear these things. I love how she has insight on so many things that as a mom, I just don't know. It's so refreshing.

Zachary is still taking a few steps between things and is much more sturdy. He isn't always running. He will drop to his knees rather than "fall" to stop. Kelly had him walk to her and when she said stop, he did. So we get to practice that now. I loved watching her get him to say words and do things that I just don't think about doing. I guess I do too much for him. I remember that with Jonathan.

I'm sure I will get the medical part of this messed up a bit but I'm gonna give it a try...Kelly says that Zachary pronates and while this can be normal in kids his age, she feels his pronation is a little more than that. Pronate means to turn or rotate (the foot) by abduction and eversion so that the inner edge of the sole bears the body's weight. I knew that this was normal and most children (as Jonathan did) outgrow it by the age of 2 or 3 but most children were walking by that age too. Because of this, Kelly wants Z to meet with an orthotist (Orthotists are allied health professionals who provide care to patients with disabling conditions of the limb and spine by designing, fabricating and fitting the patient with an orthosis, a custom made brace.) so he can be measured for SureStep. Thankfully she is going to submit this through FirstSteps and our caseworker there. I am praying that they pay for it. I have no clue how much these things cost but I bet it is not cheap! However from what I have read, the SureStep can be worn with regular shoes and it doesn't look like you can't even see anything...it's all on the foot and inside the shoe.

Zachary is making great progress and I am so proud of him! He is trying to talk so much more and understands even more. He likes to play a game with me where he says, "Mom, Mom, Mommy" and then when I say what he says, "I of woo (aka I love you)". It's the sweetest little thing. He also tries to do it with Jonathan but they are usually too busy fighting.

Well that's it for now!

No comments: