Sunday, August 2, 2009

A new life

Tomorrow, August 3, would have been my parents 52nd wedding anniversary if my mom were still alive. How my life has changed in nearly 2 years. I have been through things I never dreamed of and I have come out stronger. I have witnessed a miracle in my son that I never thought I would need and one that I feared would never happen. While I feel like I lost a lot, I gained so much as well. My heart still aches for my Mom and I am sure it always will.

In the past 2 years, I have seen my Dad grow in ways I never knew possible. I am so very proud of him for the man he always has been or for the man he has become. I can't imagine going through all he did with Mom and losing his wife of 50 years. He pulled through and has become a stronger person and is settling into his "new" life. His new normal. So many changes have taken place for Dad. In these past 2 years he has lost friends, family and his wife. He rose above all this and has had the courage to step out into new territory. He bought himself a house. After living at the same place for 40 years (maybe longer but I have no clue how long) he is getting a fresh start. He found himself an adorable house, painted it, carpeted it and has moved in. He loves his house and his face lights up when he talks about it.

This weekend we went through more stuff at his old house. I think Friday night we were all overwhelmed...in a way it was like saying goodbye to Mom all over again. We found more stuff, more pictures and many more memories.

As I type this, I am looking out the window and can see how bright the moon is. I am also thinking how right things are in my world. There was a time when I didn't think I'd feel this content and this happy again. Dad is venturing out to start his new life, I had a nice family weekend with no time outs and no fighting with the boys and Zachary is showing more signs of walking and talking. The boys play together and when I see my little Z light up as his big brother plays with him and I see his million dollar smile, I know that my life is good and there is nothing else that I need. I hope that Dad's adventure into his "new" life leaves him feeling as good as I do right now. He deserves that.

No comments: