Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy 4 months Zachary!

Today my little man is 4 months old. I can't believe it. I have to admit that 8 weeks ago I wasn't sure we'd be celebrating this milestone. Yet here we are and I thank God for that.

Yesterday Z was weighed and is now 11lbs and 3oz! What a big boy!!! They did a blood draw and the nurse called to tell me that the counts were good and we'd repeat it all in 2 weeks. This is where I'd call Dr. Rob myself and get the numbers but I didn't want to do that. I had a feeling the numbers would be high and it would make me sad. I base so much on those numbers. So I tried to fight off the urge to call. I mean Z is doing great...eating, laughing, grabbing toys and just a pure joy so how could anything be wrong with him.

Fast forward to today at 945am...I needed to know those numbers, I had to know. I call and Heather tells me that his WBC is 21.6%...HOLY CRAP and his monocytes were 19%...DOUBLE HOLY CRAP! This is the highest his numbers have been since we got out of the hospital! POP! Did you hear that? It was my happy optimistic bubble popping really fast and close to my ear.

I tell Heather how I don't see how they can be good if they are this high so she said she will have Dr. Rob call me. He calls and he expressed similar concerns. He said he isn't freaked out because Z has done this before...go real high and then BAM he's normal again. He is hoping and praying this will happen in 2 weeks. So in 2 weeks we repeat the tests and if it is still high or higher, Z will have more indepth bloodwork done to determine what is next. He explained that just because there is a text book normal range, each individual can still have their own "normal" range and it can be higher than the regular normal. He told me he has never seen a case like Z's so maybe Z is just a higher normal. If I notice a rash, eating or behavioral changes I am to call Dr. Rob and birng him in.

For now, we are to still hold off on his normal vaccines. I asked him about Noonan's Syndrome. I discovered that Noonans and JMML seem to go hand in hand. He said this did cross his mind but Z does not have the facial features and he truly doesn't think this is our problem. My reason for asking this is b/c of his heart murmur and undescended testicles. I know both are VERY normal in a baby and he said that Noonans can result in pulmonary stenosis and this would have been detected in the echocardiogram he had at the hosptial. So I just need to have Dr. Kate do another echo to look at his murmur and this is routine for newborns w/murmurs and is done at 4 or 6 months. I will request it at 4 months.

Even though my bubble had bursted, Dr. Rob made me feel good about things. Yes will still take it day by day and I need to resume normal and not put stuff on hold for a "what if". He did explain that the monocytes have to do with the white cells, I previously thought it was the red, and they too can increase w/a viral infection. So who knows. My little mystery man is just that a mystery!

Happy 4 months big guy!

1 comment:

1Supergirl said...

Happy birthday Z!
You are 2 weeks younger than my neighbor's baby, Hannah, and more than a pound heavier! What a big boy you are--and so handsome!
Love,
Auntie Judith and Uncle Darin