Thursday, August 28, 2008

9 Month Appointment/Preschool

Today we had Jonathan's preschool open house. Chelsea and I took him up there and at first he didn't want me to leave his sight but then he began playing more. I think he was a bit intimidated by some of the kids b/c he didn't know them. It's funny because he was a good 2 - 3 inches taller than nearly all of them! The teachers were wonderful and it looked like so much fun. So many different activities. I wish I could go. We told him that next week he will go and stay for a bit but the mommies couldn't stay. I think he'll be okay.

We then had Zachary's 9 month appt. Everyone commented on how big he had gotten and how HUGE Jonathan was. We weighed him in at 51lbs...fully clothed. I think he is 42 or 43 inches tall. Dr. Kate was even impressed. He got a bit wild and she said, "Glad he's going home with you!". Ha! She laughed and said she has days when she takes her 2 kids out alone and feels like crying. Glad to know I'm not alone.

Well Zachary weighed in at 16lbs and 14oz with a diaper on. He is in the 5th-10th % and has fallen down a bit on his chart. At 6 months he was 15lbs and 1 oz. So he barely gained 2 lbs in 3 months. Not good. He is 28.5" long and is in the 50th % for that. His little peanut head is in the 5th %.

I addressed every concern I had and the first was his soft spot...still huge and she said that was reported in the hospital report and she just wants to watch it.

His lower part of his spine seems like it sticks out. She said she doesn't think it is curved and that it is b/c he is so skinny.

Not sitting up...while he is making progress he still is not doing it. She will gladly send him to physical therapy when I'm ready. I may wait a few weeks because he seems to be doing better and the parents as teachers lady gave us some good ideas for helping him along.

My ultimate concern is that he has NF1 or Noonan Syndrome (NS). Both seem to effect (in some way) kids with JMML and that is how I found out about them. He has the one symptom of NF1...the cafe au lait spots. As for NS, I say he has several and Dr. Kate agreed. The main symptom there is a heart defect...pulmonary stenosis. He does have a murmur and 2 echocardiograms confirmed it was just a murmur. But you see, NS has a huge spectrum of symptoms. Some people do not know they have it and others, well they have it bad unfortunately. Another symptom is undescended testicles...check. Low set ears...check. Droopy eye lids/lazy eye...His eyelids may be a bit droopy or is it hereditary? That's the thing, lots of these symptoms can be hereditary traits as well. NS can also cause (if cause is the right word) developmental and mental delays and mental retardation...obviously I would take any or all of these over JMML.

Dr. Kate will always say, "what is your Mommy gut telling you?"...this time, it's telling me that I'm afraid for my baby boy. I'm afraid of 2 things...the worst isn't over yet and that he truly has JMML and something is "hiding" it some how and the not so bad (I hope) is that he has NF1, NS or some combo of the 2. Unfortunately, my Mommy gut is not telling me that it is nothing.

She advised me to call a geneticist and then we may call in a neurologist as well. For some reason, these 2 steps are really hard for me. Maybe deep down I do know that something is wrong or maybe I'm just really sad because I wish (so badly) that my mom was here. With the first anniversary of death approaching, I'm finding everything a little harder these days.

3 comments:

Denise said...

(((hugs)))

Dahris said...

Jennifer,
Go with your gut, but also trust all the Drs. They have led you to so many things so far-they really seem to be taking care of you. Make the neurologist appointment-they are very informative....and the a genetic appointment may tell you something interesting and not as bad as you think. He looks like a great little boy to me....both of them do! Prayers to you all-dahris

Doodle - said...

((((((HUGS)))))

My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.
-Psalm 119:28