Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Another daughter without a Mom

Yesterday I got a call from my dear friend M that her Mom passed away. My heart broke into a million pieces. Flashbacks of my own Mother's death came flooding back into my mind and heart. Even though I have been in her shoes I had no idea what to say for her. I was speechless. I knew that nothing I did or said could help her at that moment. I told her that I know it hurts so much and it will for a while and to allow herself to feel her pain and sadness.

I cried on the phone with her and a long time after we hung up.

Mrs. H was a special woman. When my own Mother got sick she would email me or have M ask me about my mom and she would light candles for her. When Mom died, she sent me a card and told me if I needed anything then to call her. When Z got sick, she again lit candles for him, said prayers for him and asked about him a lot. The last time I saw her was in June when I had a purse party. Mrs. H was so chipper all the time and so kind and caring. She was the type of person that you wanted to hug you because you knew it was a real hug and so full of love. I remember she held Z that night and just sat there holding him. I know she loved the babies and kids. I wish I had taken my kids to see her more. She called me a few weeks after that to see how we were doing and if I needed anything.

I get so busy in my own life that I forget to reach out to others that may need me. I know we all do it but how do we stop it?

When my mom died and then Z got sick, I learned what it is like to be on the receiving end of needing prayers. I was so use to being the one that said prayers for people that I had no idea what to say to people in need or people suffering. Unfortunately most of the time I said/did nothing for fear of doing the wrong thing. I now know that sometimes hearing "I'm thinking of you" is all a person needs. An "I'm praying for you" means more than you could imagine when it is said to you.

I hope that I can be as good of a friend to M during this difficult time that she has been to me. M if you ever read this, I love you sweetie and will always be here for you.

Mrs. H, I can picture you and my Mom up in heaven talking about your kids and grandkids. I can see you both shaking your heads and laughing at things your kids have done. Give my mom a hug for me. I'm sorry you had to go so soon. You left your mark in this world and the skies are a bit brighter tonight because you are shining down on us.

Hug your Mother and be kind to others, life is too short.

No comments: