Monday, December 29, 2008

Good Days

After my breakdown on Christmas Eve, Jason suggested we go and see my Mom's grave. He had his mom pick up some flowers for us and after all the presents were opened and the boys settled down, we headed out to the cemetery. It was muddy and Jonathan fell asleep on the way. I took Zachary up to meet her and we laid some flowers on her grave. Jason and Jonathan appeared shortly after. It was nice to let Zachary meet his grandma. It still seems so very unreal but it was a good day! The house was full of our entire family...2 nieces and 2 nephews were all that were missing (and their spouses/kids) so we had well over 50 people in the house. Wow! I am sure Mom loved seeing that. It was so crazy.

Yesterday Jonathan and I went to see my Dad. We went to the mall with him to get a new cell phone and to look around for a laptop. He of course went to Cabela's and bought him a fishing pole. It made me think of when he was in the hospital right before their anniversary party and I took Mom to see him. She said something about an item she bought (maybe a magazine) and he told her she had too many. I was only half listening and then I heard her say something about him and his fishing poles. And here he was, buying another one! We then went to Steak N Shake and it all felt so right. Usually it was Mom I went to the mall with and then we immediately figured out where we would eat at. It was our favorite thing to do. It felt so right doing those things with my Dad. I got to create new memories with my Dad and so did Jonathan.

Dad drank a strawberry shake and told us he hadn't had one in forever! He drank the entire thing. I think he was happy (and full). We headed back to his house and Jonathan and him played with his fishing pole. Again, it was a good day.

No comments: