Friday, January 25, 2008

The good and the hmmm

First of all Zachary came out fine from the Broviac line surgery. It took them a bit longer to find the vein for him but the did it on his left side. The line only has one port b/c he is a bit too small for the bigger line that supports 2 ports. This line will be used to draw blood and administer any meds including chemo if needed.

When I got back to recovery he was running a fever of 102 and was VERY pink and his heart rate was 218. I almost lost it right there. We had 3 incredible nurses that were fighting over holding him. He was very charming when we arrived and one over some more fans. We eventually got the fever down and the heart rate down and my sweet boy looked very normal again.

Today the visiting nurse came and Z always puts on a show for her. LOL He was very happy to see her. The good news...Zachary is now at 9lbs!!!!!

The "hmmm" part of today...

His WBC count was 14.9...it is creeping up. I know that this is not the only thing we are watching but it is the one thing I can understand so that one number can make or break my week...as can his weight.

She gave me some other numbers too:

Hemoglobin was 9.3
Platelets were 432
ANC (?) 2235
Monocytes 15...this is another # Dr. Rob is watching.

I got a card from a friend of mine. It was a sweet card and she told me how when her son was battling cancer he saw Dr. Bob. She told me how much she loved everyone in the office. I knew we were in good hands. The nurse told me that Dr. Bob was a pediatrician first. So he has LOTS of experience. I really love his staff.

On Monday we see the gastro doctor. I just want to make sure that Z's meds are acurate for his weight. Thursday we get more bloodwork and another weigh-in. Then Friday is his well baby check up (2 months!) but he will not get any vaccines. Then the following week his bloodwork will be done in the office so Dr. Rob or Bob can see him.

He is filling out his 0-3 month clothes now! I love to see clothes to small on him!

Tomorrow is the bone marrow drive. Wish us luck!!!

9 comments:

Denise said...

(((hugs)) and continued prayers to you. That picture of J and Z together from the last post is so beautiful. You can see the love in their gazes.

ladywithasong said...

I'm thinking of you all so much, Jen. I'm checking the blog religiously too. Sending many prayers for you and baby Z.

xoxoxoxox

msfitzita said...

Jen I'm so glad the surgery is over and that your big boy is home safe and sound.

I'm thinking of you so much and praying so hard for your sweet little man.

(((((((HUGS))))))))

Margaret said...

It sounds like Z is doing well overall, and that's great! I'm glad the port surgery went well. What a relief. And what a blessing to be working with a dr who is so wonderful!

I'm thinking of you guys all the time!

GL with the drive today.

Nikki said...

Oh Jen Im so glad to hear Z is doing well and surgery is over....sorry you had a bit of a scare in recovery but he is one little fighter!!! I continue to pray for Z and you and that your bone marrow drive goes very well today I have my fingers and toes crossed. Hugs to you and the boys

LoLove Nikki

Sandy said...

Wow, 9lbs!!!! That is fantastic news. It's good to hear you have such a great medical staff on your side as well.
Eddie & I will be at the bone marrow drive today getting tested. I hope we will get a chance to see you. Much love, prayers & support.

Sandy

aerialsmama said...

Jun-
I'm glad his procedure went well I check on you guys daily and love reading your updates. Continued prayers to you and yours!

Lori said...

Good luck with the drive!!

((hugs))

1Supergirl said...

Z is getting so big, and we know he is going to get stronger every day.
Tell him he's always in our hearts, our thoughts, and our prayers.
Love,
Judith and Darin