Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008

I decided to create this blog to keep family and friends up to date on the status of Zachary. I will try to keep this updated and give as many facts as I can. Forgive me if my emotions get in the way and please do not pass judgment on me.

On December 26, 2007 Zachary James was admitted to the hospital at 5 weeks old. Z was not gaining weight, losing it in fact. He had reflux, a cough, sunken soft spot and was only eating 10oz a day. We sent him as a direct admit so that he could be tested to find a diagnosis.

His white blood count was high and after 2 days it kept getting higher. We did a bone marrow test on him and the hematolgist suspected Juvenile Myelomonocytic Lukemia or JMML . This disease is so rare, 3 in 1 million! The only cure for this disease is a bone marrow transplant.

As of today, January 1, 2008, Zachary is on low doses of Chemo and it is keeping his WBC down. He is now on a feeding tube and has gained nearly one pd since birth, 7lbs and 12 oz. When admitted he was also diagnosed w/a broken collar bone (YOUCH), pnuemonia, (confirmed) reflux and later H-flu. He is on Pepcid and mylanta and an antibiotic and is currently in the PICU.

He is my little trooper and never complains unless he is unswaddled! He has a central line in so they do not have to poke him for blood. Thank goodness. The pnuemonia is gone and we need to get Z eating 3oz every 3hrs rather than the 1oz every 3hrs. We hope to move him to the main pediatric floor tomorrow.

Jason, Jonathan and I sent off bloodwork yesterday to be tested to see if we are a bone marrow match. My hopes and prayers are that it is Jason or I. I can't imagine both my boys in the hospital. We were informed today that the BMT will take place at Children's hospital here or in Cincinnati or Minnesota. Z can come home once we get the other bone marrow test back and he gains some more weight. We hope in a day or so.

My brother and sister in law banked my nephews cord blood and offered it to us for Z. I am so grateful for this. I am speaking to his hematologist about this and hope to find out more this week.

We are blessed with so much support...family and friends and even strangers. While 2007 was a rough year and I don't think I can handle a repeat of that year, I know we will be okay. God will see too. With my Mother's passing in 2007, I was devastated taht she would never meet Z. Now I realize she is up in heaven and watching over Z and us. I know Mom will see us through this and even though my heart breaks that I can't pick up the phone and call her, I know she is with me.

We are thankful for any prayers that you can send our way.

12 comments:

Woman who knits said...

We are thinking of you here in Milwaukee.

I know everything will be okay and Z will be home before we all know it. Hopefully, he'll gain weight soon and fast! Evan is already out of his 3-6 month stuff and we need to share!!! =)

Cat

msfitzita said...

I'm thinking of you SO much Jen, and praying for Zachary's miracle. I hope you'll all be home soon.

Until then, HUGE hugs to all of you.

ox

Nel said...

Jen you are in our thoughts every day all day here! Graham and I had a conversation today where he is SURE everything is going to be ok. exact words..."Zachary's won't have a boo boo anymore very soon" I swear my kid has premonitions about people, not kidding.

See....

Love you!

RP said...

Jen, we're thinking of you constantly and keeping that sweet boy of yours in our thoughts and prayers. I hope you are all home together soon. Many hugs, my friend.
XOXOXO

Erin said...

We're thinking of you.

aerialsmama said...

I am thinking and praying for you and your family and especially little Z. I pray that you are all home safe and sound soon.

Many prayers and hugs

Margaret said...

Huge hugs for you, DH, JD and Z! I'm thinking of you all every day.

sjb said...

Jen,
Rob and I will continue to say prayers and think only positive thoughts. I wish I could do more. Just know we love you and we have faith that Z will be home before you know it!
So many hugs!
Steph

CAT said...

Jen--I am praying for all of you. I know Z will be home and feeling better very soon. Please don't hesitate to ask if you need anything at all.

Give Z and JD hugs for me!

Your friend always,
Cindy Thoms

Unknown said...

Jen,
Grandma is watching over Z and will send him home soon! Z and your family are in our prays. I love you guys and wish you the best!!
Love you ,
Sarah

Donna said...

Hi Jenny i'm so happy to hear that your little one is thriving.I've been praying for you's. Hang in there. cousin Donna.

bostonbelle said...

Jen, I am so sorry that your little guy is having to go thru this. My heart breaks for you! I know that you have a little fighter on your hands. Babies are so much stronger than we can ever imagine.

My thoughts are with you. Please know that I am here if you ever need to chat. I am all to familiar with how precious our children's lives are.

Many prayers are with your fmily.

Teera